Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I love fall, and have such lovely fall memories! Halloween was a very special time when my children were young, and we'll never forget the fun costumes I made for them each year. This year my grandson, Timothy, wore the very devil costume that I made for his Daddy so many years ago. It's a moment I truly treasure!
I have wonderful memories of watching my daughter in junior high and high school bands marching through countless parades and of cheering for my son's pee wee and school football teams. A Facebook friend posted recently about waiting for the local high school's homecoming parade to start, and I remembered like it was yesterday my husband and I driving football and and FFA "floats." What seemed like a million miles driving then are a million wonderful memories now.
I also fell in love with my husband during a beautiful fall more than 30 years ago. After several weeks of dating (which you know means you're in a serious relationship when you're 17) I was over the moon to be invited to his Grandparents' home for Thanksgiving dinner. I was so NERVOUS, and believe it or not I still remember what I wore! (I won't go into the dirty details, but suffice it to say it was definitely a reflection of 1979! hehe!) After an amazing Thanksgiving feast everyone gathered in the living room, and Grandma brought out a huge bowl containing her delicious homemade caramel corn. Oh, how I loved that caramel corn, and I still do. Each fall I make it at least once, and this year I'm sharing this special treat with a couple of good friends!  Here it is, all packaged up and ready to go, and you'll find the recipe below.

I had so much fun making this tag with PTI's Gobble, Gobble stamp set and the coordinating die.  I guess I kind of turned him into a "Button Bit" by putting the button on his tummy!  I cut the die with thin cork and added cardstock to make his feathers bright and fun.
I'm also sharing the wonderful card I received from Cindy Holshouser in PTI's fall swap.  I got this card some time ago and have just now been able to photograph it to share.  Sorry for the tardiness, Cindy, but thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful card!  I love it!

Grandma Plote's Caramel Corn

7 1/2 quarts (30 cups) popped corn
2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

In large sauce pan bring to a boil brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt.  Boil , stirring constantly, for 5-6 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla (it will foam and bubble). Pour over popcorn and stir to coat well.  Bake on a large baking sheet (I use a huge shallow pan) for one hour, stirring every 20 minutes.  Cool and enjoy!

God Bless.

Supplies:

(All supplies are PTI unless otherwise noted)
Stamps - Gobble, Gobble
Paper - Kraft, Dark Chocolate, Pure Poppy, Summer Sunset, Orange Zest, Distressed Dots
Ink - Chai Tea Dye, Dark Chocolate, Pure Poppy, Summer Sunset, Orange ZestOther - Vintage Buttons, Cork, Tag Sale 1 and Gobble, Gobble Dies, Dark Chocolate Twine, booglie eyes (Michael's), Distressing Tool and 5/8" Real Red Ribbon (SU!)

7 comments:

  1. This is GORGEOUS...the idea of using cork for the leaves is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...when I clicked over to your blog it took me to the leaf card and I completely missed the turkey...Mr. Gobble is so CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful memories! Thanks for sharing them and the recipe. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great fall memories!! Love the treat bag and tag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue I LOVED reading your post... what sweet memories you shared with us! I ADORE your treat bags.. and am gonna TRY grandmas recipe! (THANK YOU for sharing it with us!!)
    Have a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Sue, what an awesome project! Your turkeys are adorable, love the cork!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun cork turkeys! Thanks for the caramel corn recipe--it's one of my favorite treats, yet I've never tried to make it myself!

    ReplyDelete